Free Web Hosting with Website Builder

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Perseverance Vs Stubbornness


PERSEVERANCE

To practice perseverance means to go on meditating, to keep on reciting mantras, to develop all the virtues of a bodhisattva, to increase the accumulation of merit and wisdom, regardless of the difficulties we experience. To do this, our precious teachers tell us, will bring us closer to the ultimate goal: enlightenment, the absolute truth, liberation, recognition of the clear light.

Our teachers also tell us, that the path is not a leisurely walk with lots of amenities while we are under way. It is made clear, that Mara is not giving up his hold on us willingly and will put all kind of obstacles in our way. But we are to disregard all that is trying to make us turn in the wrong direction and look for encouragement and guidance in the teachings of the master Buddha Shakyamuni like trusting and confident students.

We are taught that when we encounter these obstacles, we will find directions and guidance in meditation. While in meditation, we are open to recognize the solutions to our problems, open to understand the answers to our questions, our mind is able to enter areas of our awareness normally closed when we are in our normal level of consciousness.

According to our gurus it is not helpful, to try and seek for help with the aid of our intellect. The reasoning within the limits of our obscured mind will not lead us to a correct view of our existence within the dualistic world.

Our thinking is based on incorrect input coming from our limited sense and cannot bring us to valid conclusions.

This brings me to the cause of me writing this.

When considering my present position and the conditions of life, I can see clearly that it could do with some improvement.

While engaging in various activities to bring about changes in a positive sense, I was encountering seemingly endless obstacles coming up rising numbers and quality. For some time I was tempted to give up and resign myself to what apparently was my destiny. I thought that other teachings I had been exposed to previously said, that to keep on trying after so many setbacks is called "stubbornness", and that you should follow your "gut feeling" and look for an alternative. That the obstacles in my path are

Indications that what I was attempting was "not for me" and that I should heed the "omens" my subconscious was giving me.

I almost gave in to these suggestions.

BUT

Then I remembered! I sat down on my cushion and went to my meditative level. I called on the resources available and asked for guidance and a solution for my situation. I realized then that "PERSEVERANCE" is absolutely not the same as "stubbornness" and that the temptation to give up was indeed not the solution I could accept. It would have been the easier way out. But it would also have left me in the same spot as before and not one inch further on the path. I came to the conclusion that these obstacles where in reality challenges. To overcome these in dealing with them would certainly bring me ahead. Maybe not immediately out of all difficulties but a step further.

The change in my view was necessary to look at my situation from a different angle and led me to recognize, that it is not as desperate as it seemed before. New ideas on how to work on improvement came up. Conversations, discussions and even disputes with friends and members of our sangha led to a list of possibilities not evident before.

Essential conclusion:

To give up = stagnation and finally regress

To persevere = development, change, progress

I think that this insight is valid not only for me.

I am convinced that it is equally valid for all, who are confronted with problems, obstacles, puzzles, uncertainties, and general unpleasantnesses.

Keep at it! Don't give up! Success is certain!

0 komentar: